25 October 2010

A Spur of the Moment Trip to Bohol

Took a side-trip to Bohol on a supposedly Cebu only trip.  Couldn't resist the chance to go to Bohol after I found out it was less than 2 hours away by fast craft from Cebu.  As usual, nothing was really planned.  I asked a cab driver to take me the pier and I just took my cues from there.  

Took the last SuperCat out of Cebu, around 6pm and arrived Tagbilaran City at almost 8pm.  Since it was too late out to go to Panglao and I wanted to do the touristy thing and check the hills, the tarsiers and all, I looked for a place in Tagbilaran.  I stayed at Vest Pension House Hotel.  Rates where relatively cheap and it was clean and new.  When I stayed there, a room for an overnight stay for 2 pax was only 850-900.  Now I think it is only P1,150.  The hotel also helped me out with the tour.  Hooked me up with a driver to take me around.  Since renting a car was expensive (P2,500) for a whole day tour, I opted for a motorcycle.  It was only P500 and took me to the Chocolate Hills, the Tarsier Sanctuary, the Loboc River and eventually, Panglao.  Though the motorcycle wasn't really part of the tour options, they hooked me up with someone who could do it for me.  Economical, since I was alone, and exhilarating.  In Panglao, I stayed at Dumaluan Beach Resort.  It isn't the prettiest out there.  But it was inexpensive and clean.  It was quiet.  My aircon room was less than a thousand then and it faced the beach.  

I did the touristy thing in the morning, leaving my Tagbilaran hotel at 8am and went to the Chocolate Hills, the sanctuary, the Loboc River and church.  I was in Panglao by 1pm.  Had a late lunch in Panglao and just enjoyed being alone by the beach.  In the evening, I met up with a few Swedish divers I met on the ferry and went to check out the "night-life" in Panglao.  Nothing much compared to Boracay but I was glad.  The whole point of my trip was to breathe.

Got to talk to a few fishermen and they agreed to take me out with them at 3am.  Joined them in a small banka hoping to catch a glimpse of the dolphins that played around in these waters.  I saw some but we were really to far away to take any photos.  


Chocolate Hills, well it isn't as 
chocolate-y as it gets in the summer









Did you ever wonder why 
there are numerous hills in one area?  



Loboc Church.  


Beautiful. 


The Philippine Tarsier, the smallest primate.




They look more like rodents to me.  hehehe




Baclayon Church. Oldest Church in Bohol.



Panglao sunset. 



Scenes like this make you breathe.



My favorite spot in the resort.  
A book, the hammock, and I am happy.















The visit to Bohol, though spur of the moment was truly rewarding.  Just goes to show that sometimes, spontaneity is the key.  On your next trip, do not be limited by the plans you have already made.  Do not "box" your vacation time.  Vacations are supposed to be fun.  It should allow you to breathe.  There are no formulas nor are there perfect tours.  Just enjoy the moment.  


1 comment:

  1. wow, how I wish I was as adventurous as you are. That's awesome. Some dream and some do it. You are among the ones who do it!

    ReplyDelete